About the Laboratory
International Laboratory for Population and Health was established at the HSE in January 2017. Its main goal is to conduct internationally competitive research in the field of public health. Our work is devoted to the development of new and already existing demographic and epidemiological methods, that are applied to conduct research in the field of population health and mortality. The prior methodological task of the Laboratory is to develop new methods of measurement, analysis, and decomposition of inequality in demography. The major research area is the issues of health and mortality at working and older ages in Russia.
The key research priorities are:
- factors and mechanisms of excess mortality at working ages (particularly among men);
- regional inequalities in health and health care services;
- cardiovascular mortality and factors that contribute to its reduction;
- population aging, its regional differences and consequences;
- objective measures of the physical and mental health of the elderly people;
- relationship between socioeconomic inequality and health.
To contribute to the further development of public health studies in Russia and neighboring countries, Laboratory provides seminars and training courses, inviting the leading scientists to give lectures and to share their knowledge with young scientists, doctoral and master’s degree students.
The Laboratory cooperates and collaborates with the Russian Federal State Statistics Service (Rosstat), Institute of Demography at the HSE, leading European scientific centers: London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), Institut national d'études démographiques, France (INED), Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany (MPIDR).
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!